Published Day: Tuesday and Thursday
Circulation (Paid): 2717
Cover Price: $1.50 GST Inc.
Address: 29-31 Moran Street Whyalla Norrie SA 5608
Phone Number: (08) 8644 9400
Fax Number: (08) 8644 9433
Email Advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Editorial: email@example.com
The bi-weekly Whyalla News services South Australia’s most important industrial city. Whyalla is home to the OneSteel Whyalla Steelworks and is a shopping hub for Eyre Peninsula. Whyalla is the second largest provincial city in SA with a population of over 20,000.
With the slogan “Where the Outback meets the sea”, Whyalla is a gateway to the Gawler Ranges and has sheep stations and rugged country nearby, yet, by contrast, Whyalla is equally well known for its sea – hosting the Australian Amateur Snapper Championships each Easter, and is also home to the Giant Cuttleﬁsh’s spawning grounds.
WHYALLA’S OWN newspaper was born after several months of a special Whyalla section being included in the Port Augusta weekly newspaper, The Transcontinental.
The first edition of the Whyalla News was printed on April 5, 1940. Volume 1 Number 1 was a four-page broadsheet publication costing two pence and with a circulation of 400.
The newspaper was published by the partnership of Edwards and Willson from a small tin shed in Patterson Street, Whyalla, and printed by The Transcontinental.
On July 18, 1941 came the first issue of the Whyalla News, printed in Whyalla.
With the decision to print the paper in Whyalla, came the first big expansion in staff and facilities. From 18 months of being a one-man business in a tin shed, Mr W. J. C. (Jock) Willson was joined by his partner Mr J. E. Edwards at the new Randall Street address.
Developments came quickly with the growth of Whyalla, but the newspaper’s expansion was handicapped by severe war-time restrictions on newsprint.
In the mid-1950s, the Whyalla News partnership bought the Port Pirie Recorder. By 1957, the Randall Street premises were no longer able to handle the growth of staff and machines so the business acquired the Forsyth Street property, with the move taking place in March, 1958.
In the 1970s and 1980s the Whyalla News expanded its media empire, taking over newspapers in Cleve and Port Augusta and was instrumental in launching the monthly regional magazine, Scope.
In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Whyalla News expanded its stationery department and launched into the field of office furniture and equipment. The company, Northern Newspapers Pty Ltd, was created in 1979.
In 1981, between the five separate papers, nine issues were printed a week, and combined they had a circulation within the region of 61,500 a week.
The company grew to employ more than 90 people and was the largest family-owned provincial organisation in South Australia. Jock Willson’s sons, Craig, Donald and Richard, were key players in the media empire. Don Winton was the longest-serving editor, starting in 1956 and finishing at the newspaper in 1979.
In 1991, Rural Press bought Northern Newspapers Pty Ltd, as part of its takeover of SA Regional Media Limited.
In 2009, the press at Whyalla was shut down and all printing was moved to Murray Bridge.
Instead of a printing hub, the Whyalla News became a design hub with the introduction of Think Design and Print in 2009. The production hub in Whyalla looks after all the pre-press needs for nine newspapers in South Australia.
Over its seven-decade history, the Whyalla News has covered many major issues in the city including the launch of the first ship from the Whyalla shipyards in 1941 to the construction of the steelworks between 1958 and 1965.
A Royal visit guide was produced and inserted into the Whyalla News for the Queen’s first visit to the city in 1954.
The Whyalla News also covered the tragic Whyalla Airlines Crash in 2000 which resulted in the death of all eight people on board.
The paper has won numerous SA country newspaper awards. It won the Wiggins Teape Gateway Trophy for the best provincial newspaper in the State in 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1970, 1975 and 1981. In 2001, it won the Country Press SA Inc. award for best supplement; in 2009 it won best advertisement and in 2010 it won Basketball Australia best media coverage.