Published Day: Thursday
Circulation (Paid): 6017
Cover Price: $1.60 inc. GST
Address: 13 Coral Street, Victor Harbor
Postal Address: 13 Coral Street, Victor Harbor SA 5211
Phone Number: (08) 8552 1488
Fax Number: (08) 8552 4613
Email Advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Editorial: email@example.com
The Times covers the main towns including Victor Harbor, Port Elliot, Middleton, Mt Compass, Goolwa, Strathalbyn, Cape Jervois, Rapid Bay and Yankalilla. On the Coast is distributed throughout McLaren Vale, McLaren Flat, Willunga, Aldinga, Sellicks Beach, Maslin Beach, Moana and Seaford.
This area has long been rich in rural produce and its associated industries, with grazing, dairy farming, horse breeding, regular livestock markets, wineries and dairy factories providing a sound economic base. Today, the richest source of the Fleurieu Peninsula is people, population 29,791. Only an hour south of Adelaide the peninsula welcomes city dwellers for weekends, school holidays and vacations.
THE TIMES was founded in 1911 and the first edition of The Victor Harbor Times hit the streets in August, 1912, after being printed at a Port Elliot printing office.
Victor Harbor’s new newspaper was sited in Railway Terrace, later moving to its existing Coral Street site. It was owned by Mr Joseph W Elliott, who was also the owner of The Southern Argus at Strathalbyn.
The first editor of The Victor Harbor Times was Mr Cecil C Elliott, son of Mr J.W. Elliott. In Strathalbyn in 1881, Mr Joseph Milnes started what was to be a 50-year career with the Argus and his son, Mr Herbert (Peter) Milnes, joined the business in 1911. Peter Milnes was transferred to Victor Harbor in 1917 and took over the business in 1922.
In the early days of the paper’s history, the newspaper was hand-set at Strathalbyn and the pages were sent to Victor Harbor by train for printing on the Dawson flat-bed Wharfdale press.
But, during the days of World War I, the setting up and printing of the newspaper was started in Victor Harbor.
Hand-setting continued through the 1920s, although some copy was being machine set on linotype machines in Adelaide. In the early 1930s, the business acquired and operated a linotype machine and it was during this decade that hand-setting began to be phased out.
One of the early staff members of the newspaper was Arch Grosvenor, who joined in 1925, became editor at the age of 18 and left in 1938 to join The Murray Pioneer. He later joined The Advertiser in Adelaide where he worked as country editor. In his later years at The Advertiser he became well-known as its Bowls Writer.
Mr Peter Milnes’ son, Colin, joined the staff in the 1930s. During the paper’s 90th anniversary year in 2002, he recalled how, for many years, The Victor Harbor Times was a four-page broadsheet with few pictures as blocks had to be made in Adelaide and they were expensive.
In 1973, the paper made the transition from letter-press to off-set production providing broader scope for the production of a brighter newspaper. From that time the paper ceased to be printed at Victor Harbor and was then produced to printing plate stage locally and printed firstly in Adelaide and later in Murray Bridge.
Today, it is produced to paper stage and sent electronically to Murray Bridge where it is printed as a negative.
Peter Milnes retired in 1978 at the age of 80 and Colin Milnes stood down in August, 1979, after more than 45 years with The Times.
His sons, Paul, Ian and Michael Milnes, fourth generation members of the family in the newspaper and printing trade, continued in the business until March 1, 1986, when the paper was purchased by Country Publishers Pty Ltd.
In 1986, the Willson family purchased The Times, under the company name of SA Regional Media.
The Willson family sold its newspaper interest in Victor Harbor to Rural Press Ltd (now Fairfax Media) in 1991.
Today, the paper ranges from 80-120 pages in full colour. The Times has seen strong circulation growth over the years, growing from about 3500 in May, 1996, to more than 7500 now.
In 1982, the paper won the Country Press SA Inc. award for the best newspaper (circulation under 5000) and repeated the feat in 1993. In 2007, it won best SA country newspaper over 6000 circulation.