Published Day: Wednesday
Circulation (Paid): 20330
Cover Price: Free
Address: 119 Murray Street, Tanunda
Postal Address: Box 43, Tanunda SA 5352
Phone Number: (08) 8563 2041
Fax Number: (08) 8563 3655
Email Advertising: email@example.com
Email Editorial: firstname.lastname@example.org
With a circulation of 20,330 copies weekly, the Barossa and Light Herald is the largest circulating regional newspaper in South Australia.
Established in 1908, the Herald covers the entire Barossa, including Tanunda, Nuriootpa, Angaston and Lyndoch, home delivers to every household in Gawler and distributes to surrounding districts such as Kapunda, Eudunda, Mt. Pleasant, Kersbrook, Williamstown, Roseworthy, Hamley Bridge and Riverton. Whilst being one of South Australia’s premier tourist destinations, the area also includes light and heavy industry through to viticulture and agriculture.
THE BAROSSA AND LIGHT HERALD has a long history in regional South Australia.
It was born out of two papers – The Barossa News (established in 1908) and The Kapunda Herald (established in 1864) – which merged in May, 1951, to form The Barossa and Light Herald.
The Barossa News and The Kapunda Herald were quality country newspapers, printing news reports from settlements stretching across the region.
The Barossa News was founded by Mr J.B. Cant who hailed from Western Australia, where for many years he had been engaged in the newspaper and general printing business. The paper circulated in Angaston, Nuriootpa, Greenock, Lyndoch, Eden Valley and Murray Flat districts.
Mr Cant was a driving force in setting up the Provincial Press Association of South Australia in1912. He was the association’s first secretary.
Leslie Tilbrook, the nephew of Henry Hammond Tilbrook, one of the founding owners of The Northern Argus at Clare, took over The Kapunda Herald in September, 1923. He joined The Kapunda Herald staff in 1911, working his way up to become manager and editor in 1917. Under his guidance, the newspaper continued its strong focus on reporting news from Kapunda and neighboring towns. Restrictions on the availability of paper and labour during World War II saw the newspaper decrease in size and following the War it remained at just four pages.
During this period the increasing efficiencies of communication and greater mobility, coupled with the rural communities’ moves towards larger landholdings and decreasing populations, all contributed to the demise of many country newspapers – including the Herald. In 1951, Mr Tilbrook sold the newspaper, and it was combined with The Barossa News. The Barossa and Light Herald was then founded by John Liddy, of The Barossa News.
Early issues contained interesting local advertisements as well as many references to post-war issues such as security loans and national service. Obituaries of local identities, church news and weddings received detailed coverage in this period.
Like many country newspapers, sport was also given prominence in its columns. Today, the Herald, which is managed by Tony Swan and printed at Murray Bridge, continues to be a community voice for residents of the Barossa Valley, Gawler and surrounding areas.
Based in Tanunda, it boasts South Australia’s largest circulation figure for a country newspaper, with 21,400 free copies printed weekly.
Each edition is compiled by local employees, making sure the newspaper is available every Wednesday morning. The Herald has covered all major events in the area, including the 2005 North and South Para River floods, the 1994 Nuriootpa siege and the 2010 Kapunda triple murder.
It has also documented the many success stories of the region, including homegrown cycling world champion Jack Bobridge.
The paper is a strong supporter of the community averaging $20,000 each year in sponsorships, prizes and donations to local charities.
It is also one of only a few regional Australian newspapers that can be viewed in its entirety on-line.
Through the Real View program, readers are able to keep up-to-date with all that is happening in the Barossa, Gawler and surrounding areas even when outside of the circulation area.
The Herald is an award-winning newspaper – it won the Country Press Inc. award for best sports photograph in 2008 and 2009 and excellence in journalism in 2009. It also won the Older People Speak Out National Award in 2009. One of the Herald’s strengths is being part of the national Fairfax Media group, but make no mistake, the Herald is a local newspaper.