Published Day: Thursday morning
Circulation (Paid): 2496
Cover Price: $1.50 GST Inc.
Address: 93 Smith Street, Naracoorte
Postal Address: Box 450, Naracoorte SA 5271
Phone Number: (08) 8762 2555
Fax Number: (08) 8762 2935
Email Advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Editorial: email@example.com
The Naracoorte Herald’s primary circulation area includes Naracoorte town and district, Lucindale township and district, Penola and Coonawarra, and Padthaway township and surrounds. The Herald’s secondary circulation area is the Victorian Border districts.
THE NARACOORTE HERALD was first published in 1875, but had only been up and running for a relatively short time before it was put out of business.
The Herald was initially a subsidiary of the Mount Gambier-based Border Watch, and was put together in a former National Bank building facing Ormerod St by Border Watch staff Messers Mather and Caldwell.
Before long, Mather went into partnership with George Ash, who was a fearless reporter and became an outspoken editor. His writings were not always appreciated by their subjects – his readers, and in 1889 a sustained editorial attack on Mr Hutchison of Morambro, who remained a JP despite being found guilty of “dummying”, and who erected a fence and gate across the main road to Bordertown – which unfuriated Ash – resulted in a lawsuit against the newspaper.
The case, which created an enormous amount of interest in Adelaide and the local press, was decided against the newspaper and damages of 250 pounds plus costs were awarded, which, combined with expensive legal bills, forced the firm to close down.
Archibald Caldwell then bought the paper and continued as proprietor, in partnership with his brother Dugald, until his death in 1942
In 1907, new premises were built for the paper on the Smith St site where the paper continues to be produced today.
Jim Thomson had been manager since Mr Caldwell’s death, and he bought the Herald in 1948. In 1955 photographs first started to appear in the paper.
In 1958, Harry Peake, who had been running the Mount Barker Courier, bought the business and installed machinery which at the time made the Herald the most up-to-date provincial newspaper of the time. He expanded the premises to include a sales department in 1965.
Mr Peake had a distinguished career in newspapers, being made an OBE in 1968 for his “service to the Country Press of Australia and the community.” He received his OBE from the Deputy Governor, Sir Mellis Napier.
In an article for Through Our Eyes, Mr Peake says the future of country newspapers is assured because country people are interested in their community, the deliberations of their local government and the activities of their neighbours.
In 1979, his son Richard Peake bought the business, and many more major changes happened rapidly in the ensuing years as computers and other technology became more commonplace.
Changes included a large-scale renovation of the Smith St premises, the introduction and constant upgrading of computer systems and equipment, out-sourcing of printing operations to Murray Bridge and Mount Gambier, and finally the sale of the Herald – as well as the Kingston-based Coastal Leader and Bordertown-based Border Chronicle, which Richard Peake had also acquired in the years after buying the Herald – to Fairfax Media in September, 2010.
Mr Peake spent 31 years as editor and managing director after his father had held the roles for 21 years. Continuing something of a family tradition, Richard Peake’s nephew, Lee Curnow, took the role of Herald editor when Fairfax took ownership of the paper on October 1, 2010.
The Naracoorte Herald’s primary circulation area includes Naracoorte town and district, the farming areas of Lucindale and district, the major wine areas of Penola and Coonawarra, Padthaway and surrounds. It also circulates in the Victorian Border districts.