Published Day: Tuesday & Thursday
Circulation (Paid): 2300
Cover Price: $1.10 GST Inc.
Address: 42 Davenport Street, Millicent
Postal Address: Box 22, Millicent, SA 5280
Phone Number: (08) 8733 3755
Fax Number: (08) 8733 4341
Email Advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Eastern Times is based in Millicent and covers the Wattle Range Council area, including the towns of Tantanoola, Beachport, Robe, Mount Burr, Hatherleigh, Glencoe, Kalangadoo, Southend and Rendelsham.
This richly diverse area, known as the South East is one of the State’s most prosperous regions. Industries include beef, wood, prime lambs, viticulture, forestry, ﬁshing, food processing and pulp and paper production, while beautiful beaches and national parks attract thousands of visitors every year.
IN A DIMLY lit cellar beneath The Central Cash Stores of Millicent in June, 1891, Roland Campbell worked on producing the town’s first newspaper.
Originally from Robe, Roland’s schooling ended by the age of 10 when his father went bankrupt then had a serious accident.
At just 11, Roland began managing the family farm at Robe, then continued as a farm labourer around Millicent before becoming a builder, news correspondent for The Border Watch and store keeper.
Running his own store, in 1886 Mr Campbell purchased and began repairing an old broken printing press. His first newspaper was bedded down by July 10, 1891, and a single broadsheet began selling the next day.
Called The Millicent Times, Mr Campbell wrote in his news column: “OURSELVES – It has often been expressed that Millicent ought to have a paper. An attempt is now made though in a very small way to carry this expression into effect, and it now remains with the residents of our town and district to say whether it shall be continued.”
With less than two news columns, most of the first edition was dedicated to advertising, particularly from his own store.
A scathing report soon appeared in The Border Watch, referring to the new newspaper as “Campbell’s Price List”.
One year on Mr Campbell wrote: “OURSELVES – With this issue we commence the second year of our existence. During the past year we have endeavoured to do our best for the welfare of the community as a whole, leaving individuals to take care of themselves. We have not pleased everybody, and never expect to. Have had some little abuse heaped on us because we have not chosen to allow our pages to be the vehicle for venting personal spleen.”
Mr Campbell had a passion for agriculture and belonged to the Millicent Agricultural Bureau where he once produced jam made from a noxious weed, deadly nightshade.
He was considered an astute businessman, aware of the importance of primary industries and value adding for the wealth creation of his community.
In June 1894, Mr Campbell sold The Millicent Times to his brother, Donald, to focus on his farming enterprises.
Donald changed the paper’s focus to include more politics, national and international news, but its primary content was information and events of Millicent and its outlying districts.
He was elected to State Parliament after selling the paper in 1905 to a local consortium called The South Eastern Producers, who employed a Victorian managing editor, Mr J.C. Harper.
The Millicent Times was renamed The South Eastern Times in January, 1906, continuing its coverage of local and regional news as well as politics and national affairs, recording a circulation of 2500.
In April, 1906, Mr R.C. Mowbray was employed as managing editor, and acquired the paper in March, 1907.
An emphasis on reporting local news continued, correspondents were employed in most regional areas, and everything was considered news.
The SE Times celebrated 50 years under Mr Mowbray’s ownership before the reins were passed over to the late Mr R.L. (Bob) and Joan Chewings.
Under the ownership of managing editor Michael McRostie and his family, the SE Times celebrated 100 years in 1991.
Ironically, The Border Watch, which criticised the first publication, purchased the SE Times on October 31, 2006, under the guidance of its owner, the late Allan Scott AO, who also owned the Penola Pennant.
The paper circulates through a wide area including Tantanoola, Kalangadoo, Beachport, Southerport and Robe.