Newspaper

Published Day: Thursday
Circulation (Paid): 1385
Cover Price: $1.50 GST Inc.
Address: 27A Main Street, Cleve
Postal Address: 27 Main Street, Cleve, SA 5640
Phone Number: (08) 8628 2037
Fax Number: (08) 8628 2481
Email Advertising: tina.traeger@fairfaxmedia.com.au
Email Editorial: trudi.herde@fairfaxmedia.com.au 
Website: www.eyretribune.com.au  



Advertising Representative:

FAIRFAX REGIONAL MEDIA








The Eyre Peninsula Tribune covers the rural heart of Eyre Peninsula, including the major towns of Cleve, Kimba, Lock, Arno Bay, Cowell and Pt Neill. 

While traditionally the area is known for its farming industry, the region in fast becoming known as a premium site for the aquaculture industry, specifically pacific oysters and farmed fin fish. The coastal regions are also proving to be a popular holiday destination and retirement spot for Baby Boomers.


THE HISTORY

THE EYRE PENINSULA TRIBUNE started as the Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune in Cowell on Friday, December 2, 1910. 

The first-ever edition was typewritten, carbon copied and delivered by post on request at a cost of two pence, or eight shillings for a yearly subscription. 

In a page 1 editorial of the first edition, the editor stated:
“The Franklin Harbor district has progressed by leaps and bounds during the past three years and, in accordance with the usual trend of events, it is only natural that the district should have a journal to represent and throw a searchlight over a tract of country the existence of which is only now beginning to be recognised by the people across the gulf.”

He also added that “the journal will be directed to the gleaning of general news and a strong effort will be made in the direction of urging on the rapid development of this great tract of country….”

By 1911, the Tribune had its own press and a team of printers who “worshipped at the stone” until the early hours every week. These were the ‘hot metal’ days when printers banged together lead letters into huge frameworks on a stone bench, creating each tiny piece of text letter by letter.

Throughout the war years the Tribune was the be all and end all of local communications. Whether people were discussing the war abroad or the wool prices at home, or who was travelling, who was visiting or who was unwell – it all showed up in the Tribune’s broadsheet pages.

It wasn’t until the 1950s, as towns across the region began to grow and develop distinct identities and regular services, that the Tribune encountered competition in the form of The Kimba Dispatch. Then, around the time The Kimba Dispatch was incorporated into the Tribune, along came Cleve’s own Areas Express.

By the 1970s, the Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune had been renamed the Eyre Peninsula Tribune, incorporating The Kimba Dispatch and Areas Express.

Proud of its wide-reaching and varied readership, the Tribune boasted a print run of 1950 copies and was now published on Thursdays – and has been ever since. It was in the 1970s that printing of the Tribune moved to Whyalla and information and photographs were transported back and forth between the Cleve-based offices and a compositing team at the Whyalla News.

These were the days of black and white film, ‘bromides’ and late nights cutting and pasting adverts and stories on to master pages. In the 1980s, computers and word processors were used to transmit stories to the Whyalla hub, but the final layout was still in the hands of the compositors at Whyalla.

In 1991, when the paper became part of the growing Rural Press (now Fairfax Media), new technology was introduced.

Suddenly, computers appeared at all desks, not just the editor’s. Advertisements were designed in their entirety at the Cleve office by local staff for the first time and appeared on screen as they would appear in the newspaper.

In the early 2000s technology again caught up with newspapers and the local team of the paper now work closely with a team of Whyalla designers, but create the paper at Cleve before it is sent electronically to Murray Bridge for printing.

The Tribune has figured prominently in Country Press SA Inc. newspaper awards, winning the Ampol Award for the best newspaper (circulation under 5000) in 1981; best typography 1985; best advertisement of the year award 1993; Rural Press – best feature 2006/2007; best newspaper with circulation under 2500, 2006.