Published Day: Wednesday
Circulation (Paid): 1611
Cover Price: $1.50 GST Inc.
Address: 74 DeCourcey Street, Bordertown
Postal Address: Box 221, Bordertown, SA 5268
Phone Number: (08) 8752 1511
Fax Number: (08) 8752 1293
Email Advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Editorial: email@example.com
The Border Chronicle covers the prosperous Upper South East of South Australia and neighbouring border districts.
This productive versatile, agricultural region with reliable rainfall and vast underground water resources produces quality wool, beef cattle, wheat and barley and is a major exporter of lucerne seed. Padthaway and surrounding districts are also enjoying an increase in viticulture production.
THE BORDER CHRONICLE was first published in broadsheet format on Saturday morning, June 13, 1908.
It was printed and published by Mr Leslie Samual Duncan in premises at the rear of Bordertown’s first Institute building in Woolshed Street.
The first issue announced that the paper aimed to report the news of the district, various markets, state, interstate and world news. In politics, the paper would take a moderate tone, it was stated.
Mr Duncan produced the paper until December 1, 1913, when, because of ill-health, he sold the business to Mr Benjamin Lodwick Wilkinson.
Ownership changed again on May 28, 1917, with Mr H. B. Whitham becoming the new proprietor. He had previously worked for The Maitland Watch.
In 1919, Mr and Mrs Donald Campbell became the proprietors. Mr Campbell took Mr Eric Sprigg into partnership in January, 1924. Mr Sprigg became sole proprietor in January, 1932 and took Mr Harold Howell into partnership from July, 1946, until October, 1949.
In January, 1950, Mr Sprigg sold the business to Messrs Roy Poulton and Ross Warne. Mr Poulton purchased Mr Warne’s share in September, 1963, and operated the business in partnership with his wife, Joy, until a company called Border Chronicle Pty Ltd was formed in January, 1972. Mr and Mrs Poulton with sons, Neil and Lindsay, then became the directors. With the passing of Mr Poulton in 1977, business continued with the Poulton family.
In 1996, Lindsay lost his life through an unfortunate accident. Neil carried on working the family business, purchasing it outright in 1998. Neil and wife Christine, along with daughter Tracey (now managing the Chronicle) kept producing the paper until October, 2005. The paper was then sold to Richard Peake and Judith Barton of The Naracoorte Herald, who ran the paper for five years before selling to Fairfax Media in October, 2010.
Until 1967, the paper was printed on various presses which used sheet newsprint being hand-fed. These printed four pages at a time and folding was then carried out manually.
During the latter part of 1966 and early 1967, a new section was built on to the DeCourcey Street premises, which trebled the floor space available.
One of the main reasons for this building was to allow for the installation of a Duplex web-perfecting flat-bed press, which printed and folded up to 16 pages in one operation, using newsprint from a reel.
The size of the paper at that stage was reduced, with the number of columns per page being six instead of seven and length of the page reduced from 18” to 151⁄2”.
In February, 1979, came the most dramatic change in the paper’s history. After more than 70 years’ production with the familiar
“Letterpress” method, new “Offset” equipment was purchased.
In October, 2005, the paper was set up in Bordertown and e-mailed off to be printed on a web off-set press, also incorporating pages with full colour.
One name that stands out in the history of the Border Chronicle is that of Eric Sprigg. Eric joined the Chronicle staff as an apprentice in 1911, under the papers founder Mr Leslie Samuel Duncan. In 1924, he was taken into partnership by the then proprietor, Mr Donald Campbell, who became the sole proprietor in 1931.
Mr Sprigg then took on a wider interest in country newspaper affairs. He was soon appointed to the general committees of the Provincial Press Association of South Australia, now Country Press SA Inc.
He served as president of Country Press SA Inc. in 1952 and 1953. He was also awarded life membership.